[at-l] silent spring

My wife used to work at Winterthur (one of those little DuPont houses north
of here).  For the first few years we were here, employees were given garden
plots on the grounds which were large enough for us to grow all sorts of
stuff (corn, potatoes, etc.).  The Yankees coudln't quite figure out what the
okra and black-eyed pea plants were (kinda foreign here, but that's a
different story).

The property also had a huge deer population as well as raccoons and
groundhogs.  Yields were a little light.  Favorite memory was the deer
waiting at the top of the hill for all of us to drive out (used to watch them
walk down off the hill in the rear view mirror as I drove away).

But they are so dang cute.

In a message dated 02/20/02 12:40:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lwbooher@halifax.com writes:

> Just wait until the DEER find your garden.  We can't garden at all for that
> reason.  We drive in at night and catch deer in our headlights.  What are
> they doing before they run?  Systematically eating our grass, plants, etc.
> I've taken pix of them eating the apples off our tree.  We live on about 2
> acres in town.  anklebear

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---