[at-l] silent spring

Kahley's post about the hatch in her river has made me think I should
post something that is not really trail related, but is in a wider sense.
A hobby of mine is keeping bird feeders in my yard. I'm not a serious
bird watcher but I get a great deal of pleasure from my causal
observations. Recently most of the woods along the top of the ridge we
live on was torn down for yet another subdivision. This happened about
Christmas. Some time after the woods were carried off on log trucks, I
began to notice fewer and fewer feathery friends at my feeders. It has
been well established that the loss of habitat is the main reason for the
decline in American song birds. As the green areas near cities are
destroyed, the birds will be forced to move farther afield. Many will be
force out of nesting all together. Pressure will be put on all the song
birds in the areas were the former city dweller go in search of new
range.

I hope that everyone who can put up bird houses in their yard will do so.
Just a little forethought will allow for several different kinds of birds
to live in the same yard. I hope that everyone who has a space where a
tree or shrub can be planted will do that too. There is more to green
than view shed. It is not enough that we protect 1000 feet on either side
of a trail. Thanks, Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.