[at-l] The book (NOT TRAIL RELATED)

The book is by Carson McCullers and is called The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.
For those of you who are interested, the jacket of the book reads as follows:
 (For those of you who do not want to read anything that is not trail
related, I suggest you delete this message now.)

Carson McCullers was but twenty-three when her first novel, The heart is a
Lonely Hunter, was published to extraordinary critical acclaim.  Since then,
time has only enhanced the stature of this amazing literary performance.

It's principal characters are a drunken, bitter radical; a disillusioned
Negro doctor;  a hard-boiled but complex restaurant owner; a young girl faced
with the loss of Innocence and the terrible dilemmas of adult life; and the
mute man to whom these varied personalities are inexorably drawn.

Here is the work of a supreme artist, Carson McCullers' enduring masterpiece,
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.  The setting is a small Southern town, the
cosmos universal and eternal.  The characters are the damned, the voiceless,
the rejected.  Some fight their loneliness with violence and depravity, some
with sex or drink, and some-like the strange young girl, Mick Kelly - with a
quiet, intensely personal search for beauty.

How so young a writer could have captured so rich a cross section of humanity
with so rare a combination of compassion and unsentimentality is a
mystery-one as unfathomable as the mystery and magic of art itself.  That
this near miracle of creative genius was accomplished, however, is
indisputable: it shines forth on every page of this, a landmark of the modern
American novel.

I read a lot of books, and this is definately going to be one of my top ten
favorites.

Kelly

multipart/alternative
  text/html