[at-l] Speaking of hair..

I got my hair cut short years ago when I started getting active outdoors.
For my thruhike, I got it cut nearly as short as a buzz cut.  Some started
out by shaving their heads - men and women.  In general, I wouldn't
recommend shaving your head if for no other reason than that little bit of
hair can really help keep the sun off your head.  If you wear a hat anyway,
then shave away if you're so inclined.

Having short hair was so easy on the trail.  I didn't really have to do
anything to it.  With long hair, I had to brush it and braid it.  In towns,
long hair needs a lot more shampoo to wash and it takes a lot longer to dry.
  On the trail, a quick wipe with a Pactowl after a soaking rain and my
short hair was nearly dry.  Of I just didn't bother and short hair just
doesn't hold enough water to drip all over everything.

If you do keep your hair long, consider a style that covers your ears.  No
matter how much sun screen we used early on, so many of us had hamburger for
ears.  Even folks with long hair pulled back that didn't cover their ears
had that problem.  Ouch!

Mara
Stitches, GAME99