[at-l] Map & Compass Work

The ONE time I used my compass on the AT last year was early on, and for
my trouble, I got lost for 30 minutes.  This happened at a road
crossing, and before my stupid brain had figured out that when the ALDHA
guide [for NOBOs] says go "east" 1/2 mile to a country store, that means
turn RIGHT no matter what your "real" direction is! :)  I, being unsure
of where I was and by myself, took the time to pull out my trusty boy
scout compass and, of course, turned "east;" 30 minutes later, I finally
figured out that - in this particular case, "east" per the guidebook
meant "west" per my compass - and, darn it, yes if I was still bothering
to carry a map this would not have happened.  But, on the other hand, I
would not have met that friendly couple in the Chevy Blazer who drove me
around and chatted about our common profession - can you actually
imagine that I got some real trail magic from a fellow lawyer!? :)

hike on,

thru-thinker