[at-l] While I'm Here---

Gotta make the most of my post, so I won't have to post as many times.  <G>
Actually, I enjoy the one-liners.  It's the tomes that I glance over and
delete mostly unread.

Amy said:
>PS - Am I the only one driven nuts by people who say "Hey, your dog
is wearing a backpack"?  Gosh, I hadn't noticed.. where do you think
she might have gotten it?<

To me, a hike isn't complete until I've gotten the questions and comments.
"Where are you hiking to?"  "How much does your pack weigh?"  That sort of
thing.  My outfitter in Jackson, MS, said that every time you go out there's
someone out there who will see you and go, "Look, Bertha, backpackers."  And
that's what I call my journal, "Look, Bertha, Backpackers".  On our first
section, we were standing at that little parking area with the trail sign
(Unicoi Gap, GA, maybe?) waiting for our ride.  There was an old pick-up
with an elderly couple inside, she in hair rollers.  He got out and asked us
all the requisite questions.  It made the trip for me.  It's even better
when some little girl with eyes like saucers asks, and I can let her know
that this is something she, too, can do.

When someone comments on the dogs panniers, it gives you an opportunity to
spread the word about the trail, what you're about, who you are.  It's an
opening gambit for education and contact.  Don't blow it off.

anklebear

---