[at-l] Warning, another trip report about spectacular Colorado scenery...

Honest, I am not try to make anyone jealous. Having
said that, read at your own discretion. :-)

Another lousy weekend in the great outdoors of
Colorado. Snow capped peaks,  sunny skies,
a blanket of snow, good company.

In an attempt to either a) improve my backcountry ski
skills OR b) break a leg before I start the PCT in two
months, I spent another weekend worshiping in the
temple of snow.

Saturday saw us entering Rocky Mtn National Park. Paul
(the tall Canadian Paul, not the shorter New England
version that you know. It a simple case of 'aboot' vs.
'fahrest') kept on repeating as an almost mantra "A
mile into the trail there will be more snow. A mile
into the trail there will be more snow". As hiking in
ski boots is not something any
of us particularly enjoyed, we were very happy to see
that there was indeed snow a mile into the trail.

Threw on the skins and climbed to Sandy Beach Lake.
If there is a ever a place fora stereotypical alpine
lake shot, this is the place. The higher peaks of RMNP
surrounded the lake, powdery snow  all around. White
snow on the green pines. The day was also warm,
so soaked up a few rays while we ate lunch. In a
photo-op that is sure to be shown at my outdoor
group's slide show this week, we found two uses for a
spatula.
1) Scrape snow off skins
2) A shot that displays how to use  a spatula that
may be popular in certain quarters of  New Orleans
during Mardi Gras.  Think repressed Catholic guilt.
 No..this photo will not be posted.

After lunch, the more experienced skiers took off to
the higher (and steeper) areas and to do some nice
turns in the very powdery snow. Theresa and I, being
still novices, did the backcountry equivalent of the
bunny slopes. For once I did not fall.

We then skied out where it was quickly noted that the
trail, used mainly by snowshoers, was more like a bob
sled run!  Paul and Markus, who has been skiing since
they were eight or nine, has trouble with the run. I
quickly swallowed my pride, and hiked the rest of the
way down. Having a zen moment with a tree was not
something I particularly wanted to do.

Finally made it back to the car just before dark. We
then  made the owners of a newly opened nearby
restaurant happy as we pounced on the very delicious
veggie lasagna, homemade foccacia
bread, fresh salad and a most excellent German beer
while watching the winter Olympics.

Sunday, we again met the scene of the crime for start
of many backcountry adventures:Paul's Porch. I only
mention this because it is conveniently located next
to the Boulder Sports Medicine Center. Coincidence?

Drove up to Nederland and made the all important stop
at the Mountain Bakery. In the 'gee..life is really
tough' category had to make a hard decision. Should I
purchase the chocolate almond cheesecake danish OR the
freshly baked strawberry muffin? In a stroke of
genius, I bought both with the excuse one would be
used later for a snack. Also had my dark French Roast
caffeine fix, naturally.

We drove up to the Moffat Tunnel area, nice fluffy
powder everywhere! Skied up a forest service road and
bushwhacked to the top of a gentle slope. Skied down,
attempted to make some turns that somehow became face
plants, and skied down the road. I have noticed that I
have become religious in the past few weeks since I
have been learning telemark skiing. Lots of G** Damns
and J.C.s yelled before I land face first in snow
or a tree. Sr. Helen, my eighth grade teacher back at
St. Vincent De Paul school, probably would not agree,
however.

The day itself was spectacular. Could see the divide,
including the 13000' plus James Peak which is on one
of the routes of the CDT that I hiked this past fall.
Snow capped peaks and blue skies. Looked like a Ricola
commercial. Maggie, the dog from last week's snow shoe
adventure, again enjoyed being the only dog as she
expertly yogi-ed cookies and lunch meats
from us.

Another excellent weekend. (Today was a day of rest
and lets do errands).  A night
hike this  Wednesday, some snowshoeing Sunday, and a
thru-hike in two months. 'Gee..life
is really tough'.

Will be posting some pictures later this week.

=====
--Thoreau

¸Àº¸±â °­Á¸¦ µè°í ¼ö°­¼Ò°¨À» ÀûÀ¸¸é °æÇ°ÀÌ ¿Í¸£¸£~ - ¾ßÈÄ! ¹è¿òÅÍ
http://education.yahoo.co.kr/
ÇÏ·çÁ¾ÀÏ À̾߱âÇصµ ½Ã°£°¡´Â ÁÙ ¸ð¸£´Â - ¾ßÈÄ! äÆÃ
http://kr.chat.yahoo.com/