[at-l] springer sign-ebay

In a message dated 2/18/02 4:53:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

> AMC in New Hampshire auctions off their old signs to raise money. MATC in
> Maine
> destroys their signs because they don't want to create the impression that
> these

    ***  Exactly. There are some potential issues involved in drumming up
speculative value over Trail objects. First off, the Trail is a basically a
non-profit, conservation effort. It is somewhat out of place to cash-in on AT
symbols for personal gain. Funny thing about this List is the inconsistency
of certain opinions that are used in some instances to justify popular
disdain for some Trail community members while giving no mention at all in
other instances. For instance, I heard some on this list whole-heartedly
condemn a proven independent Trail advocate falsely for being in it for the
money while saying nothing about putting Trail property up for auction. These
posters tend not to answer when disproven and don't apologize for their
mistakes...

    The problem with establishing Trail property as a valuable collectible in
the public eye is the potential for sign stealing and AT property theft. I
doubt many on this list, who prefer themselves as the going AT community
opinion, have ever put painstaking hours into creating a routed wood Trail
sign. Signs not made by the USFS are made by volunteers in their free time
and take many hours to create. They are then carted to the site and placed
during volunteer hours. I doubt any List members would do such a thing (steal
Trail signs), it's just the fact that the obvious inappropriateness of it
isn't cited right off. With the Trail in such dire need of land funding,
setting a damaging precedent for personal profit is out of place on the AT. I
wonder how he came upon that sign? AT best, it's in bad taste, at worst, it's
a furthering of seeing the Trail as a place to cash-in (Saddleback)...

     I have a Harriman Park NY routed wood AT sign in my garage. I made it
myself over many many hours in the shop. We relo-ed the Trail from that
stretch, so I had to run out and take it down. It has a nice weathered look
from 6 hanging for years near Elk Pen pointing directions east.

     Someday I'll give it to the museum if they want it...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---