[at-l] Humanity -- The good and the gooder

"...I don't see that people who enjoy hiking are necessarily any more
enlightened about nature, its value, and our place in it than are great many
others who are working diligently to save large pieces of it who never hike."
says Curtis.

 I agree completely. I was constantly amazed at how little environmental
 knowledge and understanding I saw on the trail. If anything I saw less true
 environmental understanding on the trail, than among the general population,
 though my vision may be skewed by the nature of my work before hiking 2,000
 miles.

 But, this is a very interesting matter that Curtis raises. On one hand we have
 folks whose lives affect the world and the environment for the better.

  On the other hand we have thru hikers, many of whom may never do anything
 particularly special in terms of the future of the human race, but who have
 special virtues of their own. I have never experienced a better group of just
 nice people to be with than I met on the trail, in terms of being friendly,
 helpful, all round nice (albeit ignorant) people. In this the long distance
 hiking community may be unique. I thought of many as sort of (gentle giants),
 remarkable people living simple, unpretentious lives.

 I think the cliche about the most vivid memories of a thru hike, tends to be
 the people one meets, not the scenery or the natural environment, supports this
 conclusion.

  I work with a lot of dedicated people while doing trail work, and engaging in
  environmental and land preservation matter. These are wonderful dedicated
  humans. The world will be a better place because they lived.

  By any logical measures, these should be my heroes. But somehow I seem to have
  the fondest memories of many I met while hiking home to Maine.

  It's an issue too complex for me to resolve, but it is a fascinating thing to
  think about.

  Weary