[at-l] I'm back!

  Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com> wrote:

Any advice to hikers re: avoiding fractures?
A foot fracture is a worry of mine. Long, skinny, bony feet.

The only advice I have is avoid Pennsylvania!  Not really.  Make sure when you set your poles that you make sure they are on solid ground.  I knew this, but made the mistake (in my haste) of stepping before checking and the pole just sank between two rocks and I lost my balance.  It's one thing putting your pole down and it feeling solid and it's another putting your weight on it.  You find that you're not always really on solid ground.  At least not solid enough to hold your forward moving weight.  Hope this helps.

Sparrow