[at-l] Map & Compass Work

Nothing like planning a backpacking trip more than a year out.  Started
gathering info on my dream hike--the River to River Trail across southern
Illinois.  In looking over Bill & Laurie Foot's journal of that piece of the
American Discovery Trail (ADT encompasses part of the R2R), they mention
several times that it's necessary to use a compass and map.

Confession:  although I've had some basic instruction, I don't think I ever
"got it" on the map & compass bit.  I'm thinking of calling the local
Orienteering Club and finding out if they give basic instruction.  I've been
to a couple of their meets and have done the easiest level of competition,
but I kind of cheated because I knew the area and the trail so well I could
figure things out without relying on the map & compass.  I won't have that
advantage on the R2R.

How have you learned to use a compass?  Is there a best way to learn?  All
suggestions welcome.

Joan
bluetraill@aol.com

multipart/alternative