[at-l] How to help a newbie? (even longer)

>gear.  He has no clue...
>
> But he has a year to get ready.

Agreed.  Ignorance and stupidity are two different things.
Bob isn't stupid.

> All of that is good - but does he have a real
> BURN?

He could set the world on fire...

> >'Introduction to the Night', since most city
>
> Good place to start - a long time ago a friend
> ran a survey of those who
> started at Springer  and 40% of those who claimed
> to be thruhikers had never
> worn a pack before.  Meaning also that they'd
> never spent a night in the
> dark before.

My introduction to the night can be very harrowing, and I've
had two failures in about 30 so far.  I think he'll pass.

> Some people are a lot happier staying home in
> front of the TV.

Agreed, but not Bob...

> Have fun with it - he's got all the time he needs
> to get ready.

Thanks!

Shane