[at-l] How to help a newbie?

> Now some folks on this list aint gonah like this,
> but if you show your
> friend what the white blazes look like and you
> help him decide how much
> money he will need, he already knows every thing
> else, he needs to know to
> thru hike.

I would quite agree.  I just need to convince him...

> He knows how to lift one foot and put
> it in front of the other,
> and he has managed to successfully feed himself
> for quite some time now.

This is not necessarily true...  He walks - and runs - just
fine, but without his wife, I fear for his nutrition...

> Get out enjoy it, work up to walking all day, and
> most important use the
> common sense that everyone is born with.

A very common-sensical suggestion.

> If he finishes a thru it will come down to one of
> two things, one he likes
> what he is doing and sticks with it, or he sees
> it as a challenge to be
> concurred, and has a strong enough drive for the
> conquest to keep going.

Probably a mix of the two.  My biggest fear right now is
that he won't get off the trail if he really should.  I'm
all for thru-hiking - but some people won't make it - and
those people should know when to stop.

Shane