[at-l] Snowbird Mountain-upon further reflection

In a follow-up to my earlier message, it occurred to me that the signal the
FAA tower puts out is very strong and is probably not affected much by the
surrounding plant life.  I don't know very much about the FAA Air Traffic
Control system, but I do know that it's controllers can identify which planes
are in the air.  The aircraft transmit signals which probably are picked up
by the towers.  Now these signals are much weaker than the tower's output
signal, especially in small private aircraft, and probably it is the signal
generated by the aircraft that can't be received by the towers because of RF
absorption by the leaves.  I would think this would be vector specific.  For
instance, with heavy growth on the East side of the tower, as a plane flies
overhead West to East, you may lose track of it at some point in it's flight
eastward.  Imagine the consternation caused when a controller looses an
aircraft on his screen!  Especially when there is other traffic in the area.
Mid air collisions can be the start of a real bad hair day!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---