From: "Clark Wright" <icw39@ncfreedom.net>
To: "Marielle & Paul" <hikers99@yahoo.com>
Cc: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Re: Hiking songs

> If one has been to Rusty's Hard Time Hollow, the "signs" song takes on
> new meaning! :)
>
> thru-thinker
>
> Marielle & Paul wrote:
> >
> > During our thru hike I continually had songs running thru my head, often
songs that I could not stand and could not get rid of. I also sang many of
the songs mentioned by the group but the song that I liked which would not
leave was SIGNS ,likely because of the verse that reminded me of all the
long haired hikers around me.

> > I think it goes something like this:
> >
> > And the sign said: Long haired freaky people need not apply!
> > So I tucked my hair under my hat and went in to ask him why!
> > He said You look like a fine upstanding man I think you'll do!
> > So I took off my hat and said imagine that, Me working for you!
> >
> > And in response to the comment about the homer and Jethro parody of
Battle of New Orleans: If "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the
bedpost overnight" was on a Homer and Jethro album, it wasn't the original
version, because the hit was by Lonnie Donegan, who was British. And btw I
sang that song too on my thru hike.  Wasn't there a line in that song about
not being able to grow toadstools in his basement because there wasn't mush
room.