[at-l] Supplements--Am I crazy?

I'm not a clueless owner and my dogs, Zeke and Lil'But are well behaved =
and virtually always leashed.  A benefit to this is that Zeke helps pull =
me up big hills.  Better than a Leki.  I also feel much safer with Zeke =
around.  Crazy people are generally much less likely to mess with =
someone with a decent sized dog at their side.   Or would you rather I =
brought my gun?  ;)  Other hikers who don't like dogs or are afraid of =
dogs are welcome to keep their distance from me, the same way I would =
keep my distance from another hiker that made me nervous and =
uncomfortable.  I'm aware that there are special considerations when =
hiking with dogs.  I'm currently planning a nobo 2003 thru hike with =
both my dogs and a good friend who, incidendtally, is a veternarian.  To =
the majority of people, a thru hike is too much trouble.  Does that =
matter?  As long as one is willing to take the time to plan. I started =
my serious planning in November and have a little more than a year to =
go.  I'm going to have the dogs boarded while I'm going through the =
Smokies and my boyfriend will take them for Baxter at the end.  Zeke is =
fully capable of carrying his dog food and other supplies.  Heat is a =
definite consideration as Zeke is sensitive to that, but I'm also, if =
anything more heat sensitive, and we'll take the hottest part of the day =
to rest in the summer.  I'm planning on tenting and avoiding shelters as =
much as possible so I'm the only one who'll have to deal with a wet and =
muddy dog.  But I'll be wet and muddy too.  And the dogs put up with me =
pretty much.  Zeke also makes a great, and tosty warm pillow.  Lil' But =
is like a nice hot water bottle for my feet.  Great for those cold =
nights.  After all, that's where the phrase "three dog night" came from. =
 I'm just one dog short. :)  My dogs are both hardy young mutts and in =
perfect physical shape.  They also check me out for ticks and will groom =
them off.  Although, they've also groomed off earrings in the past. I =
clean up after them in the same way I clean up after myself in the =
woods.  They drink out of bowls, and yes sometimes also mudpuddles.  =
They're not fouling any water sources or chasing any wildlife.  I =
wouldn't want to do the hike without them.  It's not my hike or the =
dogs' hike, it's going to be our hike and will be the time of all our =
lives.  I think that about covers my reasons. =20

Alexis

  Woof, woof!  =20

  It's only *bad* dog behaviour and clueless owners that piss me off.  I =
love dogs, but would never bring one on a long hike for three reasons.  =
It's too much trouble and becomes the dog's hike, it's not fair to the =
other hikers that are afraid of, or don't like dogs and it's not fair to =
the dog.=20

  Now tell me one reason why it's OK, to take a dog on a thru-hike?=20

  Sly=20

  ackenglass@hotmail.com writes:=20

    Well, as we can see from the list, non-dog folks seem to be wierd =
about=20
    sharing things with dogs, be it shelters, water sources or snack =
foods=20
    marketed toward your furry friend.  And the boyfriend, one of his =
few real=20
    faults, is not a dog person.=20

multipart/alternative
  text/html