[at-l] How to help a newbie? (even longer)

>From Jim:
"If he ever wants to talk about it, I'll give you my phone number and we'll=20
talk - as often and as long as he (or you) want to."
Jim, you're a good man. I hope he calls you.
>What books should he read, if any?=A0 I already have one suggestion, but it=
's=20
>in my other computer...
"Lynn Setzer's book - "A Season on the Appalachian Trail" and Larry=20
Luxenberg's "Walking the Appalachian Trail".=A0 They are, bar none, the best=
=20
overviews of the AT thruhiking community that I've read yet.=A0 There are a=20
lot of good journals out there but they cover only one viewpoint, one hike.=
=A0=20
An overview is better because it'll give a better idea of what his hike=20
"could" be like.=A0 The best journal I've yet read is George Steffanos' at=20
http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html
Or maybe Robert Rubin's book "On the Beaten Path".
You might also try the Thruhiking Papers at http://trailwise.circumtech.com";
 Good books and links. 'The the Hail Came' is writing at it's best. The=20
epilouge is stunning. Glad to see the link for the Thruhiking Papers, there=20
isn't a better 'take' on thruhiking anywhere online.
 I've got an extra copy of Larry Luxenberg's book. If your friend wants it,=20
just let me know, Shane.
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html