[at-l] How to help a newbie? (even longer)

"...I thank God that no one "could" tell me about the things that happened to me
or how much I'd change on the Trail.  I thank God that no one "could"  convince
me about how hard (and how good) it would be.  I might never have  started.  If
he goes into it with a learning, playful attitude, expecting  nothing, accepting
everything, it can be a wonderful, mind- and  soul-expanding adventure."

 This is a very wise post that Jim has offered. I can't disagree with any of his
 advice. But most important is the quote I've posted above.

 I don't care how many miles you have backpacked, how much experience you may
 have had, how much knowledge you have, the trail is going to be a surprise ---
 really, a series of surprises.

 The surprise is part of the pleasure. I was continually fascinated by the sense
 of shock that I and others I met on the trail experienced during those first
 weeks.

 The human mind is a strange thing. How many times have I climbed a mountain and
 vowed to "never do that again," only to grasp at the opportunity a few days
 later when someone suggests a hike.

 Well, multiply that experience a thousand times over for a thru hike. We
 remember the good things on a weekend hike, and forget the hard things. The
 hard things only re-emerge as we begin the access trail. Gradually, the reality
 sinks in. This is continuing not for a couple of nights, maybe a week, but for
 months.

 Without exception. Everyone I have ever met at the beginning of a long distance
 hike, has these feelings. It's why so many quickly find a reason to quit.

 It's why the best trail buddies are those we meet in those early days. We are
 sharing an enormous sense of difficulty. We become "foxhole buddies", soldiers
 engaged in a life transforming adventure.

 After a bit the routine sets in. The trail becomes a job -- just something we
 do day after day. A hard thing, but a fun thing. We come to accept the
 camaraderie. We come to rejoice in the tightened muscles, the knowledge that we
 can endure while others succumb.

 But let no one forget, the trail will be a surprise, a difficult surprise. Past
 thru hikers who deny this, simply have an enviability to forget.

 Weary