[at-l] How to help a newbie?

Ok, this is going to be long, and the thread will probably splinter, but
it'll give everybody something to chew on for the weekend...

I need everyone's help because I am faced with a problem I haven't quite had
before.  My friend Bob is planning to thruhike the AT starting in 2003.  The
situation is this:  He has no experience (except for wandering too far from
the house and being lost in the woods overnight ONCE).  He has NO gear.  He
has no clue...

He does have:  A lifelong dream to do this.  Determination.  A willingness
to learn.  A positive attitude.  A history of running marathons and walking
several miles every day.  He is fit, and capable.

I'm 32, he's sixty-something.  I have learned more from him than almost
anybody I know.  He's my proverbial 'second father' (even though my real
father is just fine, thank you) and in a very real way one of my personal
heroes.

My problem:  He wants ME to teach him everything he needs to know to hike
the AT.  I can teach him orienteering, and all the skills, but that isn't my
problem.

Now, I've broken in newbies before.  My first lesson is always 'Introduction
to the Night', since most city folk haven't ever really met the night, and
it's something important.  Someone once did the same for me, and it
permanently changed my perspective.  If they can't handle the night, they
aren't going to do well.

Then I usually drag them through some day hikes and help them buy cheap
equiptment.  We graduate to a week, and then I go one last time with them
and don't help unless they really get into trouble.  This forumla has always
worked.

With Bob, however, I am unsure.  While thru hiking is just a series of day
hikes (ha, ha), it's also something more.  So, here are the questions:

He wants to start in mid February.  I think this is too soon for a first
timer.  Opinions?

I know you're supposed to buy the pack last, but what I want to do is buy
him a cheap pack now, and have him do his daily walks with 30 pounds of sand
in it to give him experiece with a pack.  I'd hate to have him put on a pack
only a few weeks before he starts.  Opinions?

What books should he read, if any?  I already have one suggestion, but it's
in my other computer...

Video?

He's a vegetarian.  I eat red meat.  Advice from the vegetarian crowd?

If you could tell a newbie the two or three most important things about
hiking, what would they be?

What are some things you wish you had known when you started?

Everybody has their own style and their own opinions.  Given that time is
short, should I make some of the key decisions (what kind of stove, etc)
because I have the experience to do so, or should I present him with
options?

May have more later.

Thanks in advance for the help.  That includes you lurkers!

Thanks.

Shane