[at-l] Supplements

kahley wrote:

> At 08:30 AM 2/15/02 -0500, Jan Leitschuh wrote:
>
>> Speaking of supplements,
>> I have had several thru-hikers urge me to take glucosamine to help rebuild
>> stressed joints.  I have seen performance horses such as jumpers or
>> endurance horses benefit from such supplements.
>>
>> My question is about the items it is often paired with - are they
>> worth the
>> extra cost?

My experience is only with horses, although I've heard anecdotal
evidence from friends who use the stuff.

My old horses take Equinyl CM, which I believe has glucosamine,
chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and Vitamin C.  The difference is
incredible.  My mare went from three legged lame due to ringbone
to sound (barring a flexion test.)  My gelding went from standing
around all day not moving to frisking about the pasture with the
babies.  Big, big, big difference.  (They are 24 and 25, respectively.)

I ran out in the fall.  The feed store didn't have any in, but they
gave me another supplement to try.  It left out one of the ingredients,
I think it was the MSM.  For my guys, it was almost as bad as not
having anything at all.

I'm not a doctor or a vet, but I know what works.. the combo is
effective.  Some people take only one or another, but I hear the
most positive results from those who take a combo.

It is very expensive stuff, but IMHO worth it.  I'll take the
combo when I get to that stage.  :)  If it hasn't been outlawed
as too useful.

You could always start with glucosamine, see how you feel, then
add in one of the others.  We are all our own guinea pigs, when
you get right down to it.

-amy