[at-l] CPR - WAS Need to know for work

> Their take on CPR...  If someone gets struck by lightning and their heart
> stops, you are likely to be able to restart the heart with CPR.
> If someone
> has a heart attack, perform CPR for as long as necessary to make
> you feel OK
> afterwards.  You're not likely to be able to restart the heart.

In cases where the heart has stopped due to sudden trauma (lightning strike,
car accident), there is something you can do.  This type of heart stoppage
was brought to light not to long ago when a few children were killed while
playing baseball when the baseball struck them in the chest, stopping their
heart.  We know how to do the same thing in martial arts - but we were also
taught the cure:  Hit them again.  I thought it was so sad that two children
died because nobody knew to punch them in the chest really good and their
heart would probably start again.  It isn't 100%, but works usually.  I've
never seen anyone struck by lightning, so I haven't tried it in that case,
but it might be worth a try...

> If you take a wilderness course, they go beyond the first hour, teach
> prevention of further injuries to the victim or others, teach the golden
> day, and are likely to discuss more long term first aid such as
> what to do
> when/if infection does set in, traction splints, etc.  There's a lot more
> than just that and obviously those familiar with the EMT and
> First Responder
> courses could speak more to those courses.

Don't they also teach you what to do when you are alone?

> They also show you how to improvise otherwise you would end up
> carrying more
> in your first aid kit than in the rest of your pack.

Yeah.  I could make that mistake very easily...

Shane