[at-l] RE: Hiking Songs

--- Shane Steinkamp <shane@theplacewithnoname.com>
wrote:
> Yep.  It's in O' Brother.  I was so glad to see it
> used.
> The song originated in the 20's, and hasn't gotten
> much
> popular exposure.

Every year for Thanksgiving, my family makes the trek
from SWVA to Atlanta to spend it with my
aunt/uncle/cousins.  My parents are starting to get up
there in age, and unfortunately, it's starting to
show.  They no longer get around as easily as they'd
like, and long trips are hard.  So, this year, I drove
to Roanoke, spent the night, then drove/rode with them
to Atlanta.  Another cousin, and my mom's other sister
came along this year.  I brought along the O Brother
Soundtrack.  (I tried to bring at least _some_ music
the _old_ people would like.  (I'm ducking now...
;-)))  So, anyway, when it was my turn to drive, I
popped in O Brother.  After Big Rock Candy Mountain,
my father just commented, "I haven't heard that song
in 50 years."  About 1/2 way through the CD, I
realized my mom and aunt were singing along to most of
the songs softly.  (We're not an overly musical
family.  I dink around on the guitar and my sister
takes piano lessons, but we're no prodigies by
_anyone's_ measuring...)  With all the rest stops we
made, we listened to the soundtrack about 3 times I
think.  On the 2nd time around, as soon as the song
started, my father leans over and turns the radio up.
Now, I guess you have to know my father to know how
dramatic a move that was.  I'm never heard him sing,
whistle, or even hum before.  Growing up, all that was
on the radio in the car was talk/news/sports or easy
listening.  My parents have never owned a stereo.  And
here my father is, turning _my_ CD up louder.  ahhhhh
retribution for all those years of "turn that crap
down!!!!!"  :-)  I heartily suggest that _anyone_ pick
up that soundtrack.  I would bet money there's at
least one song you'll like on it.

OK, I'm going back to humming various songs and _not_ working...

=====
--
June 13-16, I'm riding my bike 330 miles from
Norfolk, VA to Washington DC to raise money