[at-l] Vitamins and Supplements

On 15 Feb 2002 at 4:25, Orange Bug wrote:

> Hard/dense cheeses. Although string cheese is almost designed as a
> hiker food.
>
> Jerky. Summer sausages.
>
> Bill...

Good, good.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Jerky is one of the few succesful uses I've put
my food dryer to.  (Dried fruit wasn't worth the
bother.)

Does anyone on the list know about Halvah?
I'd recommend it highly but it is rather exotic -- it
would have to come from a food drop, since I
never once saw it sold down south.  It's hard
enough to find in the northeast.

In short -- it's a dessert confection made from
ground sesame seeds.  Comes in one or two
flavors (vanilla, or marble.) Likely to be seen in
kosher delicatessens.  Doesn't need refrigeration.
Very sweet, somewhat oily, and very delicious.

Not in the same league as jerky or cheese, but
it turns out to be marvelous hiking food.  Got all
the magical ingredients: calories, fat, and protein.

rafe b.