[at-l] RE: Hiking Songs

Good Morning,

Yes, Big Rock Candy Mountain is on the O Brother soundtrack, one of the
great Hobo tunes of all time - I've got to wonder if Boxcar Willie hasn't
covered at some point.  In our family, that soundtrack has been a great help
in cross-generational knowledge transfer.  My three year old can belt out
another great hiking tune from the soundtrack, "You Are My Sunshine (my only
sunshine, you make me happy.....)", in the same manner as my Dad's relayed
from his childhood.  Hardly a week goes by without Mason asking me to play
"Maw-Maw and Grandaddy's Songs" for him.

Among my favorites to hike by is my dry morning song of gratitude, "Good
Day, Sunshine".  For determination and perseverence, the chorus of an old
hymn from my country church upbringing always pops up in my head "I shall
not be moved" - I shall not be, I shall not be moved, I shall not be, I
shall not be moved.  Like a tree that's planted by the water, Lord, I shall
not be moved. "I'll Fly Away" and "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" pop up as
well.

The theme song from Mr. Ed has infected by brain on many hikes.

Really, anything that meets the oft-used AB line "It has a good beat and
it's easy to dance to" will suffice for hiking.

Take Care,

Tim

KellyGoVols@aol.com said:

In a message dated 2/14/02 6:48:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> We sang Big Rock Candy Mountain about three million times
> while slot canyoning a few years ago, which is actually a
> good hiking song.  It's long and complicated, and is sure to
> keep bears away...  :

Where have I heard this song?  Wasn't it in "O Brother Where Are Thou?"   I
know I have heard this somewhere just recenly.