[at-l] walking quotes

I have found several good walking quotes, mostly by Henry David Thoreau, =
and thought I would pass them along for all to read. Hope to see more =
from the list. Hope all enjoy, maybee a bit long.

     =20

=20

           The true miracle is not walking on water or walking in air, =
but simply walking on this earth.
           Ven. Thich Nhat Hahn

=20

Walking is man's best medicine.=20

 Hippocrates

=20

Walking is also an ambulation of mind.=20

Gretel Ehrlich

=20

 Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very =
far.=20

 Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

=20

 It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our =
preaching.=20

 Saint Francis of Assisi

=20

 If you would attain to what you are not yet, you must always be =
displeased by what you are. For where you  are pleased with yourself =
there you have remained. Keep adding, keep walking, keep advancing.=20

 Saint Augustine  (354 AD - 430 AD)

=20

 ... never, walking away
As light fails, to notice the first star
Pulsing alone in a long shell-coloured sky....

Philip Larkin (1922-1986), British poet. "Negative Indicative."

=20

 Keep on adding, keep on walking, keep on progressing: do not delay on =
the road, do not go back, do not deviate.

 St. Augustine (354-430)

=20

 He knew a path that wanted walking;
He knew a spring that wanted drinking;
A thought that wanted further thinking;

Robert Frost (1874-1963), "A Lone Striker."

=20

 The wisdom of age: don't stop walking.

 Mason Cooley (b. 1927)

=20

 I have met with but one or two persons in the course of my life who =
understood the art of Walking, that is, of taking walks,-who had a =
genius, so to speak, for sauntering, which word is beautifully derived =
"from idle people who roved about the country, in the Middle Ages, and =
asked charity, under the pretense of going =E0 la Sainte Terre," to the =
Holy Land, till the children exclaimed, "There goes a Sainte-Terrer," a =
Saunterer, a Holy-Lander. They who never go to the Holy Land in their =
walks, as they pretend, are indeed mere idlers and vagabonds; but they =
who do go there are saunterers in the good sense, such as I mean. Some, =
however, would derive the word from sans terre, without land or a home, =
which, therefore, in the good sense, will mean, having no particular =
home, but equally at home everywhere. For this is the secret of =
successful sauntering. He who sits still in a house all the time may be =
the greatest vagrant of all; but the saunterer, in the good sense, is no =
more vagrant than the meandering river, which is all the while =
sedulously seeking the shortest course to the sea. But I prefer the =
first, which, indeed, is the most probable derivation. For every walk is =
a sort of crusade, preached by some Peter the Hermit in us, to go forth =
and reconquer this Holy Land from the hands of the Infidels.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

=20

 In my walks I would fain return to my senses.

 Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), ibid.

=20

 But for us the road
unfurls itself,.we don't
stop walking, we know
there is far to go....

Denise Levertov (b. 1923)

=20

 Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. Not yet =
subdued to man, its presence refreshes him.

 Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

=20

 A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it than by the woods =
and swamps that surround it.

 Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

=20

 When we walk, we naturally go to the fields and woods: what would =
become of us, if we walked only in a garden or a mall?

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

 I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we =
unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. It is not indifferent =
to us which way we walk.

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

=20

 I am just going outside and may be some time.

Lawrence Oates (1880-1912), Diary entry for March 16-17, 1913.

=20

 If you are ready to leave father and mother, and brother and sister, =
and wife and child and friends, and never see them again,-if you have =
paid your debts and made your will, and settled all your affairs, and =
are a free man, then you are ready for a walk.
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

 Of course it is of no use to direct our steps to the woods, if they do =
not carry us thither. I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a =
mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit.... What =
business have I in the woods, if I am thinking of something out of the =
woods?
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

=20

 To come down to my own experience, my companion and I ... take pleasure =
in fancying ourselves as knights of a new, or rather an old, order,-not =
Equestrians or Chevaliers, not Ritters or Riders, but Walkers, a still =
more ancient and honorable class, I trust. The chivalric and heroic =
spirit which once belonged to the Rider seems now to reside in, or =
perchance to have subsided into, the Walker,-not the Knight, but Walker, =
Errant. He is a sort of fourth estate, outside of Church and State and =
People.

            -Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), "Walking" (1862)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---