[at-l] serious "women's" issues plus question

Phil Said:
 I use a lined pair
| of nylon hiking shorts instead.

The last long hike I was on, 3 out of the 4 of us were stopping every few miles to
attend to nearly raw chafing.
I was cruising along happily with my spandex bike shorts under my swimming trunks.
Not even a hint of chafing on me!
I highly recommend the combination (bike shorts and swim trunks) as a nearly fool
proof way to stay cool and dry all day.

Phil also said:
| I personally think that discussion of such matters is good for a mixed
| list.  We men need to be a little more empathetic toward the women, and
| vice versa, and discussion of issues related to biology shouldn't be
| relegated to single sex discussions that are often hampered by a sharing
| of ignorance using inaccurate, and mostly crude, language.

Well said.

With that, I have a question to the women on the list (or men who feel qualified).
Some time back, I heard a report which said that some doctors of female athletes were
prescribing birth control pills to eliminate menstruation during the training/ event
months.  The questions were raised that; A) menstruation was necessary to avoid risk
factors for uterine cancer or other disease. (i.e.. not menstruating would mean an
accumulation of uterine tissue which would normally be expelled which might then be a
risk factor) and B) What chemical / hormonal problems might be heightened due to the
continual dosage from the pills?

What are your opinions on thru-hiking without ever having a menstrual cycle?  Would
you be concerned about potential and / or unknown risks from the medication?  Would
you be concerned about biological effects of not menstruating.

I'm asking for two reasons.  First, I'm curious, Second, My Wife's opinion and mine
differ so I'd like to know if mine is the "male" viewpoint and her's is the "female",
or if there's no sexual bias, just opinions.

-r