[at-l] directional language/slang

Shane's comments about language used in giving directions is particulary
relevant to regional differences.  We in western Oklahoma don't have
such things as hills and mountains, or many rivers or trees, for that
matter, to have to direct people around or through.  We do have such
things as "section lines" and "correction lines", etc. that are terms
often used in rural areas for giving directions.  That's because most of
our roads are layed out on the square mile and only after several miles
do they not meet because of corrections for the curvature of the earth.

When I moved to Nashville in 1976 I was confused when a new acquaintance
asked me to go around the corner of his house and bring me his "hose
pipe".  His grill was flaming up at the time.  I told him,  "I'd be glad
to if I only knew what in the world you are talking about".