[at-l] Engineering Question about PUDs

> Does this take into account the difference in altitude?  and, the fact the
> earth is not a true sphere? and, therefore it would not be a true arc
> neither?

No, and no.  While we use the coordinates of Springer, we assume sea level
for navigation.  This means that the great circle distance, at sea level is
1117 miles.  This is a straight line distance, which is actually an arc
along the surface of the earth.  This is often called 'as the crow flies'.
The trail winds and meanders, and changes altitude, so the straight line
distance is MUCH shorter than actually walking the trail.

So, while you walk 2168 miles from end to end, you have actually only
traveled 1117 miles.

Shane