[at-l] dictionaries

Oh come on Shane!  I'm Southern, humor me.  I'll  translate if someone
can't understand.

***
Ok Kelly, but remember that you asked for it.

Scum sucker.  This one takes explaining.  In Louisiana, there are
various things that are known as scum.  The pond scum you are all
familiar with is like spring water compared to some of the things you
can find around here.  You filter all your water in the wild here, so
the first definition of scum sucker is the pre-filter hose.  (Ya'll seen
mah scum sucker?)  The second definition is someone who doesn't know
what a filter is, so they've gotten used to all the intestinal nasties.
(Nah, I don' use me one dem filter thangs.  I is a reglar skum sucker!)

Makin' groceries - shopping.

Down da parish.  (Down in the Parish)  - Anywhere south of where you are
now.  Louisiana has Parishes instead of Counties.

Down - south.  (Down to the river.)

Up - north (Up to the lake)

Normal - In New Orleans, part of the westbank is on the east side of the
river.  We call lots of things normal.

Pirouge - canoe.

Loup Garou - You think bigfoot is bad?  Loup Garou would use bigfoot to
wipe his a$$.

Gat = Gator = Alligator.  Alternatively you will hear Crocogator, which
isn't an animal you will ever see.

Hot sauce - anything that will set your tounge on fire.

Mild sauce - hot sauce to the rest of the country.

Tobasco sauce - the finest hot sauce in the world.  (If not the
hottest.)

Poppin' da gator - dancing.

Chawma - a Charmer.  A slick fellow.

Dressin' Room - the bathroom.

Locker - closet.

Where y'at?  - A local greeting.  It's a retorical question.

Awrigth - Same as above, sometimes in answer to.

Banquette - sidewalk

cold drink - a soft drink

red drink - Barqs cream soda

Cap - as in "Hey Cap. I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes!"
Slang for mister.  Abbreviated form of Captain.

turlett - Toilet

Lemmie axe ya'  - "I want to ask you a question."

Where you stay at? - "What's your address?"

youmomenem - as in 'How's youmomenem." - "How is your family?" (Your mom
and them (i.e. the rest of your family))

the line - the trail

gas - something to eat  ("I gotta get me some gas.")

minna - minnow (Any fish weighing less than two pounds)

baya - bayou (Don't ask me to define bayou.  I can show you fifty that
are nothing alike.  You can ask any native.  They won't be able to tell
you either.  Most will answer, "A big ditch.")

That's all I have time for...

Shane

multipart/alternative
  text/html