[at-l] Arresting people in the backcountry (was Hammocks and the Whites)

> On my thruhike, I ran into a ridge runner who was looking for
> two guys I had
> passed a bit earlier on...  Turns out they were killing
> snakes on the trail
> with a machete-like knife and he was out to find him.
>
> Basically, he was not even planning on confronting the guys
> but was just
> tracking them as best he could to determine which trailhead
> they were likely
> to hit.  With that information, he was in radio contact with
> the authorities
> and the police were ready to meet the offenders at the trailhead.

Makes sense to me. Believe it or not, Rattlesnakes are a protected species,
which makes it a Federal crime to kill them, the Rangers WILL cart you off.
Other wildlife falls within different regulatory purviews, but wanton
slaughter of almost any wildlife can land you in somebodies jail.

Lee I Joe