[at-l] Authority in the Whites

"...If an AMC person tells me, "You can't tent here.", and I say, "Smoke
you.",  what happens?"

First off, you should feel like a jerk ;-).  There has got to be a better
response to come up with.

That said, the rules are such that many, many people who should understand
them, don't.  If someone from the AMC (or more likely an weekend expert)
tells you that, there is a good chance they simply don't know what they are
talking about.  The reason I know this is I used to be such a blow hard,
albeit one who kept his mouth shut along the Trail most of the time.  Then I
read the regulations.

Case in point, along the much (not all) of the AT in the Whites, and along
the majority of the other trails outside of wilderness areas in that region,
it is perfectly legal to camp within 1 foot of the footpath.  Dumb, perhaps,
but legal.  Its also legal to have a campfire in most of the wilderness
areas, btw.

In the Whites, the rules are published and can be picked up at any ranger
station.  They are also published on the web at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/land_above/backcountry_rules.html

The web version is a bit confusing, as it is not apparent at first glance
where the suggestions leave off, and the regulations begin.  The printed
version makes that more clear.

I carry a copy in my pack.  Not so much to defend my own camping rights, but
rather to remind me that when I come across someone who is camping right on
the trail, perhaps at some minor summit, that they have the right to do so--
even if they could learn a bit about best camping practices.

One new confusing thing is that a few of the new generic "Forest Protection
Area" signs imply you cant camp within a specified distance from any pond,
when the written rules make limitation on only some ponds.

Now that I have ranted, I think I have a point in here somewhere.  I think
that most hikers are under the impression that it would be illegal to camp
right along the Trail in certain heavily traveled areas, like just south of
Pinkham Notch.  The way I read the rules, that's no problem, just so long as
you are 1/4 mile away from the lodge and the roads (and not in the
wilderness area).  Since that area is a natural stopping point (for SOBO's
anyway) I think it is important to get the word out.  One shouldn't be
expending energy worrying about the AMC when one is camping legally.  I
guess my point is that there are certain areas in the Whites where you can
feel like camping isn't allowed, when it is.    By the same token, there are
some rather decent sites you will find that are closer to the AT than oft
cited 200 feet, that I think many of us would pass by since we would be
under the mistake impression that they were not 100% legal.  Some of the
sites between Zealand Falls Hut and Ethan Pond come to mind.  My point is
many of these sites are legal, and you should factor that into your decision
making.  No matter what the local "expert" tells you.

For the most part, don't camp within a 1/4 mile of a man-made facility or
road and you are OK.  As for tree-line camping, don't pitch a tent where the
trees are less than 8 feet and your are OK.  There are few place where you
would wantr to do this anyway.  Camp at shelters on the final stretch from
Gorham to Maine.

BTW, the chances of seeing a ranger in the Whites is much less than seeing a
Bear and/or a moose.  And you have to be real lucky to see either of them.
Most thru-hikers never do.