[at-l] Wingfoot's The Thru-hiker's Handbook for 2002

The Trailmate planning software was awesome [see, I do like to have fun
with all the kewl stuff before I actually leave!]; I ended up hiking
1,000+ miles on the AT last summer with only the info from that CD as my
guide - no maps.  While I do not recommend no maps to others, it worked
great for me . . . and I say that just to indicate how much useful info
you can print out in a relatively compact form using that software.  i
think the CD costs about $70.00 - again, it has no mapping in it - just
crammed full of ALL Trail datapoints - all shelters; all campsites; all
creeks and rivers; all major peaks; all roads; etc.  You can play with
it by inputting things like average miles/day you'd like to walk; start
and end points; etc.  What I did was plug in 17 miles/day average [a
very challenging number for many folks, because that average includes
all your zero days], let it spit out an itinerary - and note the
software automatically figures out where daily start and end points
ought to be based on available shelters/campsites and present-day park
rules . . . but you can ask the software to also print out three
different levels of detail as to intra-day points; I chose the mid-level
of detail, which allowed me to hike as little as 3 miles/day, and as
many as 30+ miles per day, just by choosing interim data points to
stop/start at . . . it was my favorite surprise source of info - and I
would be happy to lend my 2001 copy to someone to play with - just
e-mail me offlist!

thru-thinker