Re[2]: [at-l] Hammocks and the Whites

"...The AMC rules with an iron fist." claims rafe b.

In fact, AMC has no powers over where most people want to camp, with or without
a hammock.

AMC has a lease from the US Forest Service for a tiny perimeter around the huts.
They have an agreement with the US Forest Service that allows the club and its
volunteers to maintain the trails and to supervise some of the camping places.

But whatever rules that exist are rules promulgated by the Forest SErvice. Being
an active hiker organization, AMC lets it's views be known to anyone who
listens. JUst as the AT-L members, ALDHA and other groups should let their views
be known.

But the myth that AMC "rules" the Whites is nonsense. Whatever power it has is
the power of persuasion.

AMC is to the Whites as I and others are to the AT-L. People listen and
sometimes act when by happenstance we say something sensible. They ignore or
attack, when we say something foolish. That is as it should be -- both on the
list and in the Whites.

Weary