[at-l] Hammocks and the Whites

At 06:07 AM 2/11/02 -0800, someone wrote:

 > Has anyone taken a hammock as a shelter on the AT
 > through the Whites AMC system? Can it be used legally,
 > or do you have to stealth camp? I'd hate to switch to
 > a tent just to get through this area...

Not sure either one's going to help -- but in fact
the hammock might make for easier "stealth"
camping.  Flat ground is at a premium in the
Whites.  The AMC rules with an iron fist.

My recommendation is to find places where
blue-blazes intersect the AT, then hike down
those to find campsites.  The ridge runners are
mostly concerned with the AT itself.

In the Whites you have a combination of huts,
shelters, and tent platforms, most of them with
caretakers.  You often don't get a chance to pitch
a tent on real ground, at least not on the AT proper,
between Mt. Liberty and Mt. Madison.

Some thru hikers get by staying at the huts, and
work off their dues by washing dishes, hauling
trash, sweeping floors, etc.  Tenting is not allowed
anywhere near the huts -- don't even think about it.

rafe b.
aka terrapin