[at-l] Flickering Fluorescents

In a message dated 2/10/02 9:14:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
askowronek@mindspring.com writes:

> They blink on and off like a strobe. Spin a wheel under a
> > floresent vs under an incandescent if you don't believe me.

     My guess would be the fluorescent is more accurate at registering the
"push pull" of alternating current (standard home current) because it relies
on exciting atoms of gas that react at the speed of light to each direction
of pulse. The gas inside the bulb emits light in reaction to electrical
excitement each time power passes through it. Why the incandescent bulb
doesn't do this is because it relies on heating a filament which burns this
solid material creating light. This burning event stays lit in the phase
between electric pulses in ac current providing uninterrupted light.

     I read about this somewhere and can't recall exactly why they chose that
particular alternating phase frequency, but it probably has to do with
efficiency of transmission or something technical. I suspect a solar
converter could be tuned to speed up the alternations making the strobe less
visible in fluorescents...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---