[at-l] Last test run complete - ready to go

Answers from a hennessey folk:

In a message dated 02/10/02 11:41:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, patv@ukans.edu
writes:

> Questions for the Hennessey folks:
> -How much does the hammock weigh with necessary lines?

2.5 pounds (including fly) - they make a jungle one that's 1.5 pounds
(Safari, I think) and it sounds like, from the Ruck discussion, that they are
working on the ultralight (made out of Kleenex or crepe paper) version at 2
oz or something (kidding, people - VVVVBG).  Actually, there is a 1 pound
version in the works (at least I think I heard that discussed).

> -Is there any way to use it as a bivy if no trees are available?

There's a picture of a setup with poles on the web page - I figure I'll save
that configuration for the top of Mount Washington when I get there in 2010
or thereabouts.  That's the only place I've been so far on the AT that didn't
have anything other than bonzai trees and rocks (just 200 mile an hour winds
and no water).

> -Do you still carry a pad?

I don't know if I'll need it, but this old (sorry - chronologically advanced)
man is - 2.5 pound full size explorer Thermarest (I can hear the
ultralighters cringing from here) - lack of sleep makes me a grumpy walker

> -Do you use a tarp or other additional fly?

It's included and designed to clip to the bungee cords used to tie it to the
trees and it's part of the 2.5 pounds.

> -When all is said and done, how much does it all weigh?

2.5 pounds plus 0.19 pounds for 5 aluminum stakes (one spare) plus a pad if
we're going that far - but the same pad goes with my 4.5 pound tent so that's
a wash - you could use trees, sticks, rocks, etc. and save the 0.19 pounds.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---