[at-l] environmental ethics

Good points - a simple way to look at it is to take your hiker mind set
home with you . . . here are a few more simple ones:

1)  Install low flow showerheads; there are some good ones out there
that still let you "feel" like a non-restricted shower.
2)  Insulate your hot water heater if it is electric.
3)  Buy the cheap, pipe insulating foam tubes and insulate your hot
water pipes under the house.
4)  Add another layer of pink insulation under your house.
5)  Caulk around drafty windows and doors.
6)  Consider storm windows/doors.
7)  Practice momentum cooking - experiment with your oven and stove and
learn how which recipes work well with cutting the heat off early and
just letting it coast a bit.
8)  In summer, try to cook and run any heat-generating appiances [like
dishwashers/fryers] later in the evening. This also helps power
companies during the week with peak loading.
9)  If you have a heat pump, do NOT run the thermostat up and down
between day/nights trying to save energy - it won't work.  Heat pump
systems work off of momentum and a well insulated house.  If you have
gas or oil or wood heat, then by all means DO run the thermostat down at
night; you can buy simple programmable ones to do it automatically for
you year 'round.  Try a degree or two higher in summer and a degree or
two lower in winter; if you make changes gradually, you'll be amazed
what you get used to! :)
10)  Turn hot water heaters off when you are away for more than a
weekend; if it is well insulated, you may still be able to get an
immediate warm shower when you return . . .
11)  Proper tire inflation helps mileage; take ski and bike and canoe
racks OFF when not in use - they exact terrible air drag [and thus gas
mileage] penalties.
12)  On modern cars, running AC on econo can be more efficient than
windows down - again, due to coefficients of drag.
13)  Gates down in pickups does save gas . . .
14)  Study the energy efficiency ratings on appliances - there is a wide
range and, once bought, the savings are automatic.
15)  Turn lights off at the office when you leave if you can - ditto re
thermostats if you can.  See if you can think of one or two
institutional efficiency/recycling changes at work that you might be
able to sell to your boss . . .

And last-but-not-least:  Here is my unique [at least I've never seen it
mentioned before] contribution to saving energy and reducing waste while
hiking on the Trail . . . if you go to town and rent a hostel room or
motel room, DON'T use any laundry facilities; instead, get in the shower
with your clothes on, put the tub stopper in [or cover the shower only
stall drain], run some water to get wet; cut water off; shampoo your
hair and wash yourself [clothes still on] with soap; peel everything off
and let it soak in the dirty water below; stomp on it all with your
feet; pull the drain and let the nasty water run out; replace the drain
plug; run a bit more water to rinse your hair and body off; stomp your
clothes around in all that cleaner water; pull the drain and let all
that out; and do one more rinse for you and the clothes down there in
the botton of the tub/shower stall.  Works great; saves money; saves
water; produces less dirty water . . . I did that for over 1,000 miles
and only used one laundry facility one time!

hike [and conserve] on!

thru-thinker