Re[2]: [at-l] Lekis and global warming

Weary writes:

> As a trail maintainer, I've told of the damage I see from Lekis on this and
> other lists. It's obvious to me what is happening. But like the battle over
> lugged soles, we are a 'me first' society. We always find excuses to do
> convenient, if damaging things. It's in the human genes.

You mean the heavily impacted, rain gutter they call the Appalachian Trail?
Come on Weary, it's water and rain that causes erosion and not necessarily
the loosened soil of Lekis or lugged soles.  It's just as easy to see
evidence of a deer, bear or any other animal and when they gone, it's water
that's taken them away, but for the most part, the same trail remains.

We all know the trail in Georgia has a tremendous amount of usage.  In the
last five years, I've hiked it three times and made the short hike to
Springer on several other occasions.  To me, the trail (less the relos) looks
exactly the same as when I hiked the first time.  It's rocks, roots and dirt!
 Exactly what kind of damage are you speaking of?  The little *unslightly*
holes left by the steel tips?  I don't know of any crew, who's work project
was to correct the damage caused by hiking sticks, your old wooden pole
included.  You're making a mountain out of a molehill and virtually alone in
the process, as few other trail maintainers feel the same as you do, at least
the ones I've talked to.  I suppose they're happy to get out there and do the
work, whatever has to be done, without griping as to the cause.  If there's a
trench, I can only guess, the trail was in the wrong place in the first place
or wasn't properly built.  In your best attempts, you'll never build a trail
that's maintenance free and why would you want to?

Today, I had the pleasure of climbing Springer twice.  Once using my Lekis
and the second time carrying a ladder for the GATC, to construct bear cables
at the shelter area, without poles.  Except for a few footprints in the mud,
it looked like nobody had climbed the mountain in days, as it did, first
thing this morning.

Do Lekis scratch the rocks?  I don't think so, I've tried intentionally
without result.

If you, another trail maintainer, or Kahley can give me concrete evidence
that Lekis cause actual and serious damage to the trail, lets hear it.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---