[at-l] three cheers for Rocky

I dunno, but I think quite poorly of conspicuous consumption, land
yachts, Titanium Mastercards and other efforts to demonstrate "mine is
bigger than yours." I think that the idea of living a monastic
lifestyle is admirable, but not the sort of thing that necessarily
translates into living better, either.

I suppose I am focused on HYOH without trying to impress others with a
score card - which is one of the reasons I like our sport. Those who
wish to speed hike, triple crown or climb Everest have my respect but
not my competition. I don't even see a thru hike that ends at Neel's
Gap as a failure - as the hiker gave themselves an opportunity few ever
experience.

Bill...
<Thinking about Lent in 3 days.>