Re[2]: [at-l] Lekis and global warming

"... I remember some folks complaining about the effects of deeply treaded boots
(eg Vibram soles) on the trail." says Terrapin.

  And with equal legitimacy. Lug soles increased erosion. Sharp-pointed Leki's
  increase erosion and trail damage.

  Hikers are identical to the rest of society. We happily oppose those things
  that don't directly effect us. We find excuses to continue to do those things
  we find pleasant or -- perhaps -- just faddish.

  As a trail maintainer, I've told of the damage I see from Lekis on this and
 other lists. It's obvious to me what is happening. But like the battle over
 lugged soles, we are a 'me first' society. We always find excuses to do
 convenient, if damaging things. It's in the human genes.

 Because time is limited, I tend now to fight only those battles that I sense I
 can have impact.

 We will never "lock up" the Arctic preserve. All we can hope for is a delaying
 tactic that may allow the opening to be less damaging, or provide a greater
 benefit than is now possible.

 Weary