[at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

At 03:23 PM 2/10/02 -0500, Clark Wright wrote:

>Think also about the power grid; it is just not well set up for having
>lots of local homes add power into the system, yet that is an area where
>we could do great good now and in the future . . .

I just decided what I will do with the 14 million lottery if I win this wed.
I'm gonna find out why solar is soooo expensive.  Every time I see a
sunny roof, it breaks my heart to see no panels.  But, as you say,
it isn't as easy as it seems.  We would need to maintain backup
generating capacity to insure that the lights would still burn on day
seven of a rainy spell and the maintenance of such a redundancy
would not be an attractive investment.  Maybe battery research
would be better.....
I remember the day, years and years ago, when a scientist announced
that he had achieved cold fusion.  I was so elated!! I wanted to hug the
world!  Really, it sounds nuts now but I can hardly remember being happier.
My joy lasted about 48 hrs til it was announced that the results
were not reproducible and doubted by the field in general.  Bummer....
BTW..I don't believe there will ever be retro fitting for hydrogen.  We'll
just be duel fuel until the gas cars die or government taxes make people
dump them.