[at-l] > RELIGIOUS, SENATE LEADERS OPPOSE ANWR DRILLING

On 10 Feb 2002 at 14:01, Clifford R. Haynes wrote:

> Well the last 25 years before becoming over qualified and undereducated, my
> commute was 1.6 miles generally by bike. During the winter if there was snow
> I snowshoed xcountry a little over 3/4 mile to work.On average with a 5 day
> work week and camping, backpacking, canoeing or just traveling home to visit
> relatives we used between 7 and 18 gallons of fuel (including the fuel used
> for mowing the lawn and for garden work)"depending on where we went
> backpacking or canoeing". Fuel use from public transportation is 0 because
> there isn't any, though through the taxes I have paid I have paid for public
> transportation for other folks. Yup like the average person in the US I am a
> fuel guzzler, I also average about 300 gallons of fuel a year for heating.
> Air conditioning is cheap and efficent, when it's hot open the windows and
> doors at night and cool the place off close up in the morning till it gets
> hot inside then open things back up again.

Your personal example is commendable, Cliff, though I'd venture
that the number of those in the USA who commute by snowshoes
is vanishingly small.

300 gallons of oil a year?  Wow.  Where I live, in a typical winter,
that'll last around five or six weeks, at best.

Still and all, I'm impressed that you can burn 18 gallons of gas
per week.  At 20 miles per gallon, that's 360 miles a week --
a fair amount of trucking, from where I sit.

On the bright side, I think I used no more than 1/2 gallon, tops,
for garden work, in 2001.

rafe b.
aka terrapin