Fwd: [at-l] Morton's Toe

"...In my case, half of each big toe was numb.," reports Jim.

 As DelDoc explained it at an ATC conference a few years ago, the nerves that
 serve the toes run along the bottom of the foot. Gradually on a thru hike that
 nerve tends to become damaged from the unnatural day after day pounding on a
 rough trail and feeling in the toes disappears.

 On one of his thru hikes he tested the feeling in the toes of every hiker who
 would let him. I forget the percentage that had no feeling, but it was well
 over half. The feeling in my toes had disappeared by the time I reached
 Mountain Mama's and didn't return until many weeks  after I got home.

 Weary