[at-l] ANWR (Warming)

On 10 Feb 2002 at 1:48, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

> Global warming - the Gore effect.  Is it real?  No one knows - and there's
> considerable recent evidence to indicate that the answer is a big negative.
> And that the Clinton administration knew about the evidence and pushed for
> the Kyoto Treaty anyway.  And NO, Bob - you don't know whether it's real
> either.  Second point - that it's not the unmitigated disaster that the
> press and others have claimed.  Do some research - in places where the data
> isn't manipulated to produce predetermined results or Chicken Little
> hysteria.  Just for information - Ginny used to work for the American
> Meteorological Society.  Global warming is a question - a theory.  But it's
> not Gospel.  Fossl fuels most certainly contribute to many negative effects,
> but blaming them for Global Warming is entirely dependent on whether Global
> Warming is real  - and that has yet to be proven.

I disagree.  Global warming is a fact, established by dozens if not hundreds
or thousands of independent studies at this point.  To suggest otherwise
is folly.

We might conceivably argue about whether fossil fuels are the sole cause, or
the main cause, or if this is a "natural" terrestrial cycle, but the effect itself
is no longer in doubt, unless you happen to be a friend of Dick Cheney,
Alan Gottlieb, or Dixie Lee Ray.

If you'd like to pursue this offline, feel free; I can happily cite numerous
reports confirming global warming, each one supported by dozens,
if not hundreds of scientists from around the world.  Some from government
agencies, some from NGOs.  The vast weight of academic opinion says the
warming is real, and significant.

rafe b
aka terrapin