[at-l] Home Solar Power (Non-Hiking)

spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> While there are other possibilities, I'll make one suggestion here -
> windfarms --- anchored at sea off the shipping lanes.  It's one way to keep
> them off (and away from) the Trail.  But it would be expensive energy.

*** I once saw a solar steam generator that used mirrors to concentrate
sunlight onto a raised boiler tank erected above the mirror circle. The
focused light is so powerful that it caused the tank to boil creating
steam-generated electricity. It's obvious that this could create large
amounts of watts if produced on a large scale. Desert areas would be prime
production real estate. I guess the Saudis would be twice blessed as would
the Southwest and Mexico. However, deserts are also fragile wildernesses. The
impoverished Sahara could suddenly become a boom area. Urban roof surfaces
could be resourced without adding to loss of open space...

    I bet solar panels would come down in cost if the demand went up. Their
longevity is about 50 years. Our excessive consumer use in this house in
summer with the air conditioner running is about 1900 kilowatts per month.
1200 in winter. That includes too much TV and (as you know) constant
internet. I called a solar dealer and he estimated about $60,000 for a solar
system of which 50% is rebated under a federal program. That means if energy
costs remain stable they pay for themselves after about 40 years. If I were
to live an energy-conscious lifestyle, I could easily function on a solar
system (even with internet) Though labelled as highly energy consuming,
computers use about 300 watts where a refigerator uses about 800. 300 watts
is three 100 watt light bulbs...

    Much less expensive is a direct solar supply that supplies only when the
sun is out and doesn't charge any batteries. This system must be accompanied
by grid power in off-hours. Direct supply is under $15,000 (for this
household) because it doesn't require the battery bank needed to power in
off-hours with an independent system. Still needed is a power converter,
wiring, and switching box because the rough electricity coming from the cells
has to be cleaned to make it acceptable for finer tuned devices like TV's,
computers, and stereos where rough power would disrupt normal smoothness in
operation. Light bulbs would also noticeably flicker under direct rough feed.
This unit converts to ac in order for it to be used by domestic appliances.
Laundry driers are out because they consume enormous amounts of power. Sorry,
clotheslines only for the power thrifty (unless you use it at peak hours
only)...

        I get excited here in south Florida where the winter dry season
provides weeks on end of strong bright sunshine pouring from the heavens.
Even summer sees most of the day providing strong sun before the afternoon
rains. Ideally, I would build an oversized single-sided slanting roof
designed to catch maximum rays. With my lifestyle, I could easily get by
independent from the grid and even sell some back. I wonder if a mirror
system focused on a more densely constructed silicon cell would jump up the
output exponentially on the same surface area?

      Search:   "Borders Solar"   for a very informative solar site and
dealer...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---