[at-l] Genetics...was oops!, goat silk, and kewl pix (semi OT)

There are fundamental assumptions and preconceptions that we all carry,
sometimes unknowingly, when we address these issues.  I have no answers,
but perhaps a perspective broadened by interaction with many sides of
the spectrum.  I would merely note, as food for thought:

1)  One can never disprove a negative - in other words, if the standard
is prove it is safe before trying it, then absolutely nothing new can be
tried, for there are ALWAYS unintended/unanticipated consequences.

2)  As we come to have more and more "impact leverage," the effects of
unintended consequences can be great - genetic manipulation is indeed a
bit scary in this regard.

3)  When it comes to science and technology, one either tends to believe
the glass is half full or half empty; I personally have heard compelling
speakers on both sides, and read compelling books/essays on both sides.
If I had to espouse a concluding philosophy, it would be that, in the
end, we bumble along somewhere in the middle - sometimes doing "gooder,"
sometimes doing "badder."

4)  Note I put my terms of art ["gooder" and "badder"] in quotes; one of
the lessons of my life so far is that nature, in the largest sense, is
neither fragile or susceptible to destruction by the [again, relative to
the cosmos] puny efforts of homo sapiens.  Nature will go on,
essentially for eternity; the question is better phrased as what actions
do we collectively want to take or not take in an effort to shape nature
into forms we desire more [i.e., preserve some relatively undisturbed
natural ecosystems], and avoid forms we don't desire [i.e., minimize
"polluted" areas where life as we like it is hard to preserve or
continue].

5)  To me, even the definitions of "natural" and "polluted" are somewhat
relative - they are based on our own qualitiative pre-conceived
assumptions, not on any immutable "natural law."  What is one person's
[or animal's] pollution is another person's [or animal's] natural
resource.

Does the fact that I am a bit more ambivalent about the extreme
arguments from separate corners mean I think we should do nothing?
Heavens no!  But I do think a bit more humility about how little we know
about future consequences - "gooder and badder" - ought to give us all
some pause as we gird ourselves for verbal, legal and political
battles.

In short, there are few easy answers; few black and white decisions; but
a great need for collective understanding and reasonable action.

hiking and thinking on!

thru-thinker