Re[2]: Fwd: [at-l] ANWR

"...OK, so what's a real window and light lover to do??  ... there is no such
thing as too many windows.  Big windows.  Lots of windows.  Lots of light,"
argues Susan.

Where the windows are placed is the key, Susan. For northern areas properly
distributed windows with a glazing area of about 7 percent of the house's floor
area is about right.

 My windows are mostly on the east and south -- east to catch the morning sun.
 South to catch the sun's energy for day time heating.

 You can add more windows by using insulated shades at night and by
 incorporating some kind of day time heat storage, typically beds of rocks,
 columns of water tanks, or masses of concrete.

  I chose not to do these things because they are a nuisance and require
  sophisticated and expensive design elements. It's my belief that these things
  need to make economic sense or they become nothing but fads that only a few
  true believers will emulate.

   I wanted to demonstrate to my satisfaction a way to save energy that involves
   no particular effort or extra capital expense by the homeowner.

   But by minimizing north windows and because it is laid out on an east west
   axis -- long and narrow -- my house is flooded with light on sunny days.

   There are many solutions to these problems. My solution was to build a new
   house with 1,800 square feet of heated floor area, an unheated attic and a
   partially heated full basement that cost just $43,000 in 1979. I served as
   the general contractor and did some of the interior decoration, but
   essentially I hired two carpenters, a plumber and an electrician and provided
   them with the plans.  Were I building today I would increase the insulation
   in the walls, but otherwise would build basically the same design.

   Weary