[at-l] ANWR

Bob C. wrote:
>"...Weary's passive solar doesn't work everywhere nor does it supply actual
>power..."
>
>Jim has given us a fine post, which I could nitpick, but won't (well not
>too much anyway.) Jim is right when he says passive solar doesn't work
>everywhere. If you live with no window to the southern sky, passive solar
>is of marginal value.
>
>But, I question his claim "nor does it (passive solar) supply actual
>power." I'm not into semantics and I won't debate the distinction between
>power and energy. But I designed my home to capture energy (heat) from the
>southern sun.

Bob -
Don't have time to nitpick - and I'm glad you got a chance to promote solar
passive.  Passive solar DOES have value but --- it won't run your computer
or give you light to read by -- or recharge the batteries for your electric
car.  Other "alternative sources" are therefore necessary.

Now -- where would we (both individually and as a society) like to put the
generators for those energy sources?  Why?

While there are other possibilities, I'll make one suggestion here -
windfarms --- anchored at sea off the shipping lanes.  It's one way to keep
them off (and away from) the Trail.  But it would be expensive energy.

Walk softly,
Jim