Fwd: [at-l] ANWR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net>
>   The amazing thing was that this energy was entirely free. My home has
less
>   than the normal complement of windows, compared with most modern homes.
Why?
>   Because a properly built home in northern areas should be built with at
least
>   R-30 -- preferably R-36 -- insulated walls.
>
>   The best windows have an R value of 2 or 3 -- four at the most. R values
are a
>   way to measure the loss of heat. The higher value, the smaller loss. So
too
>   many windows, not only cost more than insulated walls, but let expensive
>   energy escape at night.

OK, so what's a real window and light lover to do??  In my book (no I
actually haven't written a book yet, that's just an expression, not to be
confused with your book, which is a real book) there is no such thing as too
many windows.  Big windows.  Lots of windows.  Lots of light.

So . . . what about insulating shades? maybe made out of something like I
was eyeing at the Home Depot the other day wondering if it would work with
my Hennessey - looked like a lite space blanket fused to bubble wrap (with
little bubbles).  In the insulation department.  I forget what's its called,
although I know I did see the name of it once on this list (just after I had
spotted it and wondered about it).  Shades up on sunny days.  Pulled down at
night to keep the heat in.

suzie
    currently living in an old stone house (c. 1820) that has no insulation
but lots of character