[at-l] Re: KILLER SUPERBUGS

This is a pretty good argument for why human evolution hasn't ended in the West. From all our medications and our floor cleaners, we're changing the other critters in our natural environment we can't see, even the ones in our own bodies.  This will be more important in human terms than the disappearance of the bears or all the wild fish will be.  In terms of numbers and distribution, bacteria are the most successful organism on the planet, far more successful than humans. We need them. They reproduce faster and so adapt faster.  Our actions, even in the West, have an impact on evolution because of the changes we make on our environment which in turn will force us to adapt to them or perish.

Scopes Balls

William Neal <nealb@midlandstech.com> wrote:
> I recently read a book on killer bacteria/viruses/etc.  One blurb mentioned
new hardy bugs that can sit in a pot of boiling water or in disinfectant
that is suppose to kill them.  Apparently we are so quick to reach for
anti-biotics that some bugs have turned into super-bugs: The common bugs
they would have to compete with are killed by the meds; this allows the
resistant bugs to live on.  One of the recommendations was to not reach for
anti-biotics at the drop of a runny nose.  Make sure that you have something
that can be treated by antibiotics; a lot of doctors are so tired of being
whinned at that they prescribe meds that cannot really treat their patient's
illness.  Then take the whole treatment and don't stop just because you feel
better; stopping short, you've probably killed the weak competitor bugs and
the hardy bugs have a chance to kill you without having any competitors to
fight with.  As for boiling, they did not say much, but I'd filter and
filter and then boil if I suspected the water.  And a rolling boil is always
good.

I must admit that I use to drink any water at anytime and anywhere.  Now, I
wouldn't.  Some clear sweet water pouring out of a rock in North Carolina
gave me something like a bad flu.  Had some "good" dreams, but the fever and
aches weren't worth the visions.  I survived -- I think :-)